Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Congo African Grey Parrot Information?

So I have been the proud owner of a cockatiel for about 9 months, his name is ZaZu and we get along quite well. But lately I have been wanting to get a bigger bird, so I've been doing research and I think that the Congo African Grey is the best for me. But there is a few things I'm worried about. The first thing is that i don't want to totally forget about ZaZu. He was my first bird, and I've seen people have multiple parrots and they all seem to get the attention they need, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to do that. At first, when/if I get the Congo, I think that ZaZu wouldn't get as much attention as he does now because I'd be training the Congo. But, ZaZu does get out of his cage ALOT. He's out for very long periods of time throughout the day. Another thing is that I got ZaZu from a local pet store, and he was in a cage where people could just reach in and try to grab him. So, as a result of that, he is terrified of my hands. He steps up onto my hands with no problem at all, and lets me pet him every now and then, but it's very rare, so I would want to get a very young congo that way I could start from scratch and that way this one wouldn't be so scared of being pet like ZaZu. But ZaZu does let me kiss him and he cuddles with me every day. Another thing, where would I be able to get a young Congo African Grey in Indiana (preferably around Newburgh which is in southern Indiana) I want one thats less than a year old, and was hand fed as a baby. Also, how much on average will I be spending on getting the cage, bird, toys, food and etc.? I'm going to get a job soon and I want to have an idea of how much money I'm going to need to save up. I probably won't have the money for it for at least a year. So I have a while to do my research. One last thing, would it be safe to have the Congo and ZaZu out at the same time? I'm worried that since the Congo is so much bigger than a cockatiel, that it would pick on him. Also, will you please suggest some names? I'm thinking that I kind of like the name Roscoe. But, like I said, I have a while to decide on anything. Any answers, advice, and information will be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment